All visitors entering Laos must possess valid passports. Visa can obtained from Lao Embassies and Consulates abroad. In addition, visa can also be obtained on arrival at the international checkpoint.
Visas are available in advance of arrival at Lao Embassies. This can be done in several ways through a tour company recognized by the Lao PDR from LaoEmbassies or Consulate in countries.
For those wishing to extend their stay, it is possible to extend your visa at the Immigration Office in Vientiane, through travel agencies. It is also possible to obtain a Visa-on-Arrival at international checkpoints.
Validity starts from day of entry into Laos. Tourist/Business: 30 days (can be extended twice in Vientiane for 30 days). Visas must be used within three months of being issued.
Passport/Visa Note: Those requiring visas should obtain them in their home country before travelling to Laos. Visas are available on arrival at international checkpoints. On entering Laos visitors must ensure they receive an entry stamp in their passport as fines for not having one are high. All visitors’ passports should be valid for at least six months.
Laos Visa Extension
If you find your visa is about to expire and you wish to stay longer in Laos, don’t worry, it is possible to get all types of Laos visa (except for a Transit Visa), extended at the immigration office in Vientiane. It cost US$2 per day if you apply before the expiry date. However, if you leave it until your visa expires you will be finded for US$10 per day for the days you over stayed.
If you are in Vientiane, your Laos Visa extension can be done at the Immigration Office behind the Joint Development Bank (JDB) on Lane Xang Avenue, opposite the Morning Market. The office is open Monday-Friday, from 8:00-16:00 (closed 12:00 to 13:00 at lunchtime). The office is close for applications on Friday afternoon.
- Your passport
- One passport type photo
- Service fee of US$3
- Application fee of 3,000 kip per person
- Visa extension fee : $2 per day if you have valid visa, $10 per day if your visa is already expired (overstayed days)
Get a travel agent or specialist provider to do your Laos Visa Extension for you.
Most travel agents can arrange a Laos Visa Extension for you with small overhead fee. This varies between providers, so shop around for the best deal.
The process is straight forward, just fill out the application form the submit together with your passport and pay fees. In normal circumstances your visa is usally ready the same day.
If you only plan to stay for a few more days this option could work out best.
If you are in Vientiane it is very easy, you can take a public bus (around 10,000 kip) to the Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge. Complete the immigration procedures on the Lao side; the take the shuttle bus (5,000 kip) to the Thai immigration point and enter Thailand. If you want to come straight back into Laos you simply have to cross the road to the Thai immigration to exit the country. Once again, get the shuttle bus and then arrive at the Lao side, where you can apply for a Laos Visa on Arrival.
Your passport must have at least 6 months of remaining validity and a blank page for a visa stamp and don’t forget to take enough cash (US dollars) for the visa fee and two passport sized photos.
WHERE CAN I GET A LAO VISA-ON-ARRIVAL?
• Wattay International Airport in Vientiane Capital.
• Luang Prabang International Airport in Luang Prabang Province.
• Pakse Internatioanl Airport in Champasack Province.
• Savannakhet International Airport in Savannakhet Province.
• Mohan – Botene , Yunnan to Luang Namtha Province.
• Chiangkhong – Houixay, Chiang Rai to Bokeo Province.
• Nakaxeng – Kaenthao, Loei to Sayabouly Province.
• Houi Koln – Nam Ngeun, Nan to Sayabouly Province.
• Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge I, Nongkhay-Vientiane Capital.
• Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge II, Moukdahan-Savannakhet Province.
• Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge III, Nakorn Phanom-Khammouane Province.
• Chongmek – Vangtao, Ubol Ratchathani to Champasack Province.
• Nameo – Banleui, Thanh Hoa to Huaphanh Province.
• Namkan – Namkan, Nge An to Xieng Khouang Province.
• Keoneua – Nampao (Lak Sao), Ha tinh to Bolikhamxay Province.
• Laobao – Dansavanh, Quang tri to Savannakhet Province.
• Dong Calor – Veun Kham, Cambodia to Champasack Province.
WHO CAN GET LAO VISA-ON-ARRIVAL?
Everyone except for citizens of the countries list under “Who cannot get Lao Visa on Arrival” below
WHO CAN NOT GET LAO VISA-ON-ARRIVAL?
Travelers holding passports from the following countries are not eligible for Laos Visas on Arrival : Afghanistan, Algeria, Bangladesh, Burundi, Cameroon, Congo, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Jordan, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya (Libyan Arab Jamahiriya), Mozambique, Nauru, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Syria (Syrian Arab republci), Swaziland, Tonga, Turkey, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
According to noticee No. 1232 issued on 1 October 2009, by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Lao PDR, nationals on the list above must obtain their visas at Lao Embassies or Lao Consulates abroad before enting Laos.
However, there is an exceptiion for those nationals who are an official visits and holding a guarantee from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Lao PDR.